Following from the 2007 report from fish4cars (www.fish4cars.co.uk) which identified the Ford Fiesta as the most frequently searched car in the first half of the year, fish4cars can unveil the new “top ten” of the UK’s favourite makes and models for 2008.
In contrast to the results from the same time last year, we can reveal that the Ford Focus has overtaken the Ford Fiesta in popularity, and that the Ford brand has a staggering 4 makes and models listed in the top ten.
The fish4cars top ten by make and model between Feb and June 2008:
- Ford Focus 272,220 searches (+3)
- Vauxhall Corsa 240,626 searches (-)
- Volkswagen Golf 236,482 searches (-)
- Ford Fiesta 225,342 searches (-3)
- BMW 3 Series 218,003 searches (+2)
- Vauxhall Astra 213, 484 searches (New entry)
- Renault Clio 196,827 searches (-1)
- Peugeot 206 189,426 searches (-3)
- Ford Ka 168,407 searches (+1)
10. Ford Mondeo 153,448 searches (New entry)
Joe Slavin, fish4 CEO said. “The results clearly show that Brits love their small run-around, but it is good to see that people are still interested in the high performance cars like the BMW. Last year the Fiesta was the most popular searched for car on the site, this year the Focus has taken the helm. It is also good to see two new entries into the Top Ten – being the Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall Astra”.
Stewart Black, Head of Sales fish4cars said, “The statistics reflect the current market perfectly. With fuel prices rising and consumers having less disposable income, the popularity of the small economical car will continue to rise. With more and more dealers signing up to fish4cars we are in a strong position to offer a diverse range of economical run-arounds as well as high performance models”.
fish4cars offers the following tips for spending your money wisely when buying a 2nd hand car:
- Prioritise your needs – make sure you know what you will need your car for! Long journeys? For just yourself or a family? Shopping? Golf?
- Set a budget and stick to it – you can check your credit rating and get loan advice from the fish4 site.
- Research as much as possible and set up email alerts so that you get up to date information on the cars you like which are available. You can do this through your mobile too: http://mobile.fish4.co.uk
- Compare prices on vehicles you want to see – make sure they are competitive, and always see the car in good day light
- When viewing the car – check for rust and badly worn tyres as well as all the documentation. It is best to have someone with you for a 2nd opinion
- Test drive the car – and check windows, breaks, lights, tax disc, spare tyre, the boot as well as under the bonnet
Top 3 makes searched on fish4cars in key cities and regions:
London Volkswagen, BMW, Ford
Essex Ford, Vauxhall, Renault
Wales Ford, Renault, Vauxhall
Oxford Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot
Glasgow Ford, Volkswagen, Vauxhall
Manchester Ford, Volkswagen, Vauxhall
Worcs Ford, Vauxhall, Renault
Birmingham Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot
Gtr Manchester Ford, Renault, Peugeot
Brighton Ford, Peugeot, Vauxhall
Liverpool Ford, Vauxhall, Renault
Newscastle Ford, Vauxhall, Volkswagen
Wiltshire Ford, Vauxhall, BMW
Inner London Ford, Vauxhall, BMW
Southampton Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot
Leeds Ford, Volkswagen, Peugeot
York Ford, Vauxhall, Renault